Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yesterday was transfers! Sister Willardson and I are staying in Olympia!

My trainer, Sister Gainer, and then the second companion I had, Sister Lawrence, both are going home today.  In transfer meeting, the departing missionaries always give a final testimony for just five minutes or so. Both expressed deep gratitude for the opportunity they had to serve a mission, for the restoration of the gospel, and for Jesus Christ. In reading Sister Gainer's final report, I found this quote by Sister Dew.

"The Savior isn't our last chance; He is our only chance. Our only chance to overcome self-doubt and catch a vision of who we may become. Our only chance to repent and have our sins washed clean. Our only chance to purify our hearts, subdue our weaknesses, and avoid the adversary.  Our only chance to obtain redemption and exaltation.  Our only chance to find peace and happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come." 
-- Sister Sheri Dew

My trainer was an example to me that I will always remember. She was one of the most focused persons I have ever met. Her actions and her words all communicate that she not only understands the gospel but that she truly knows Jesus Christ.  In every lesson we taught together, she bore testimony of Him. The Spirit was always the most powerful when talking about the Savior. I know that we can truly be guided by the Spirit in all things.  If you want to feel the love the Savior has for you more powerfully in your life and more frequently than you currently do, you can! An elder spoke in transfer meeting yesterday also. He said, "If you feel this is a bad day for you, go out and help someone else! When we choose right, we feel right."

Along with the many great days I have had there have been several bad days also, but I try not to let those bad days distance me from feeling the Spirit. The hardest thing for me is probably learning to be disciplined. Following the missionary schedule is difficult, but I have felt the strength of the Lord help me to stay focused and to have energy even when I feel that all my energy is spent. Heavenly Father never gives a commandment without providing a way for us to accomplish that thing that He has asked of us, and with our obedience to those commandments, there are always promised blessings that come.

The greatest blessing of all has been for me to 
deepen my own faith in Jesus Christ... 

"And now, my beloved brethren and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good."
-- 2 Nephi 33:10  

I know there is a true strength that will come into our lives by reading the Book of Mormon, the words of Christ.

Love you all!
Sister Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment